Winter Wreath with Rosettes

I have had some DIY projects on my To Do List the past few days to keep us occupied during the last few days of our holiday break! One of those projects was a winter wreath to replace the christmas swag I had on my front doors- I did not want to go long without something up because we have glass front doors- and I felt it was too early for Valentine's day wreaths- although had I found 2 red berry wreaths on clearance I may have scratched this project altogether!

I had some old grapevine wreaths left over from my nest photography prop (so excuse their mishapen circle shape!!!) You can find these new at Michael's for around $5-$10 depending on size. I believe these were the 18" size which is $5. I knew I wanted to use those and some funky blue coloring for a winter wreath. I had actually purchased this blue spray paint for a project I thought I would use in my new office but never got around to it!! We have been so blessed to have very mild weather this past week- like in the 50's and 60's to complete this project!


First we spray painted it blue. I used Valspar Mediterranean gloss spray paint.

Then once it was dry- about 24 hours because we painted both sides and I did not want to take a chance that this might rub off on my front doors!! We started on the flower rosettes. I did take photos of making the rosette but I never realized how bad my hands looked close up- definitely not a hand model over here- so I will just link you to the tutorial I found on them at the end. Trust me it's in your best interest!!

The only thing I did different was at the end before I glued by final piece to the back I added a piece of fabric covered flower wire so I could twist them on the wreath - You could have hot glued them to the wreath but this sounded easier to me.





My original goal was to make 5 on each wreath but as you can see the first ones turned out a bit smaller then I had hoped so I had to add a 2nd layer to each one to make them fat enough for my wreath!! Now I will say making the rosettes was not as hard as I thought it was going to be- but it was very time consuming and tedious. I don't see many of these on my projects in the future!!!






Finally 6 rosettes and 3 days later the wreaths were done!! If I have time I may go back and make a few more for each one but probably not!! LOL

I am glad I made them- I love the grapevine wreath color but I may do something else to them besides the rosettes- thankfully since they are just attached with the floral wire I can remove them easily if I want to change things up a bit.



Sorry about the white coloring- I know it's had to see the detail on these from afar.








Here is the link for the Rosette Tutorial


Happy New Year!
~ Elizabeth

Nicki  – (January 2, 2012 at 2:31 PM)  

I adore your front doors and love the blue against the brown. Some very kind ladies took the ribbons from the pews at our wedding and turned them into ribbon roses - white and navy blue. I used the white and made a wreath for our baby girl's room and then took the navy and made one when we had our son - both are in a keepsake box that hopefully the kids will enjoy down the road.

Admin  – (January 2, 2012 at 3:35 PM)  

Nicki- What a special thing for them to do and for you to use with your children.

Kerry  – (January 2, 2012 at 5:20 PM)  

What a great idea--love the wreaths!

joscelyne cutchens  – (January 2, 2012 at 7:53 PM)  

what a gorgeous set of doors/wreaths!

Anonymous –   – (January 2, 2012 at 9:33 PM)  

Great wreath and thanks for the link to the tutorial. Would have taken me weeks to do that - I'm not so good at tedious.

Anonymous –   – (January 2, 2012 at 9:34 PM)  

great wreaths - I'm not great at tedious either - would have taken me weeks!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP