Girls Bedroom Inspiration

So it's time for me to start working on my 5 year old daughter's room, I am struggling a bit on whether to decorate her room more childish as a 5 year old or push it up a bit more girly like a 7-9 year old. Her room is 12X13 with a fairly large walk in closet. The first thing I did was take down the closet door- it was directly behind the entrance to her room and the previous owners had knocked a hole into it from the doors banging into each other!

Next it was time to pick a new color for her walls to replace the painter tan that was in there. She picked her favorite color- yellow of course! Now let me warn you right here- yellow is a nightmare to paint & I will never do it again!! I first bought the new paint at Lowe's that has the primer mixed in with the paint and it took almost an entire gallon to just do one wall....however it just took one wall for us to realize that not only was that paint not going to work in that room because it would have cost a fortune to paint but the color was a little more neon then we wanted! You know when you step back and look into the room the people in the room should not be glowing from your wall color!!

So back to Lowe's we went to get some new paint mixed from our 2nd choice color. This time I got primer + 2 gallons of our paint. I put 2 coats of primer on the walls- that original yellow was neon I tell ya!! Here is just a crappy iphone pic of her new wall color and bedding. The bedding was from Brylane Home after waiting on backorder for over a month at JCPenney. I do love it for her but the reviews on it were right and the bedspread is lightweight and the fabric on it just does not seem like it is going to last very long, but for now it works.


Excuse the paper blinds as the previous owners had 1" vinyl blinds hanging in the windows and they had to come down- to be replaced with the faux wood blinds plus the previous owners had measured for an inside mount and then hung them on the outside so they did not even cover the entire window glass!!!

So back to some inspiration- I would like to create her walk in closet into a changing room. I want to take down the long closet shelf & rod and replace it with 2 smaller ones stacked on the end of the closet. Then move her vanity in there along with maybe a full length mirror. Right now she has a huge dresser that I may either move into the closet or remove all together as it does nothing but collect more junk inside of it!! Also since I took the door down to the closet I was thinking of hanging a curtain on it like this:


I love this little nightstand table- isn't it just awesome for your little ballerina!! And it's just made out of a kitchen stool with a tutu wrapped around it- how simple!

I absolutely love this room- probably because I love the wall color- which is what her old room was painted and to me so verstaile-but I love how the bedding can work for either a pre-teen or a younger child.



I loved this wall decal mainly because it is so large at 58" tall and 68" wide - originally I was thinking of putting it in her corner and then adding some reading pillows underneath but now I am thinking of going more towards the image below. I already have that sofa table but mine is cherry and I would need to add a shelf- but I was thinking of maybe going with the white cube storage units that way for now I could use it as a bookshelf too?? What do you think?




Here is another cute option for a closet play space or ideas for curtains on the doors.


Photo Inspiration Credit: Pinterest

Tutu Nightstand: RealSimple

Teal Room Inspiration: www.freshome.com

Blue Sitting Area: www.bhg.com

Nicki  – (December 19, 2011 at 5:09 PM)  

I love the inspirations and agree that the bedding could go from 5 to pre-teen - and I love the idea of the changing room in the closet.

Reds  – (December 20, 2011 at 7:17 AM)  

I am sure your daughter will love her new room!! Love the yellow walls! And that tutu table - how cute!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP